sunnuntai 24. marraskuuta 2013

Fukuyamas idea of the end of history makes no sense #edcmooc #edcmoocw3







I had the pleasure of listening to Henry Minzberg in Montreal last summer. He referred to Fukuyama’s idea – not by mentioning his name, but whom else could he have meant – by saying that the idea of the end of history would also mean the end of thinking. Fukuyama’s idea is obviously based on the triumph of capitalism and this as the final and highest form of human existence. Minzberg said according to my notes that this idea is something dead wrong. I had thought that there is something out-of-place and wrong with Fukuyama’s history related thinking. Minzberg helped me see where this distortion lies. Shortly it is related (my interpretation) to an omnipotent, self-centered notion of “our present way” being the best, most advanced and highest form of existence. There have been similar ideas in various phases of history before, and the sustainability of present western life-form is for many reasons something that cannot last. Well, having now said what I felt important I can focus upon Fukuyama’s new ideas. Orwell’s and Huxley’s dystopias certainly seem to have been realized in the present day realities. NSA surveillance may be the most far reaching violation of intimacy. 

To be continued ...

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti